11/9 @ 12:45 Update:
- The Brooklyn Free Clinic needs physicians to help in Brooklyn at a temporary clinic they will be setting up in Red Hook on Saturday 11/10. Email Sarah Griffin at [email protected] for information:
The BFC will be running a free-clinic in Red Hook, Brooklyn on Saturday, November 10th 12-4 PM. We will have medical students, general practitioners, emergency medicine physicians providing free health care to displaced victims from Hurricane Sandy. The clinic will be operating out of the Joseph A. Miccio Community Center which is currently serving as a shelter for those displaced by the storm.
This project is a collaboration with The Brooklyn Free Clinic, SUNY Downstate Community Health and Wellness Center, and Assemblyman Felix Ortiz to provide free medical care and screening for displaced victims from Hurricane Sandy.
We are still looking for additional physician and medical student volunteers! Email Sarah Griffin at [email protected] or sign up.
Saturday, November 10th 12-4
(Please plan on arriving at 11AM or earlier. We will give you the specific times later today).
Joseph A. Miccio Community Center
110 West 9th Street, Brooklyn, NY
11/7 @11:20 Update:
- Doctors/Medical Professionals needed to help senior citizens stuck in high-rise condos in Brooklyn (specifically, Russian speaking). General help/support needed as well. See the COJECO website for more info: http://cojeco.org/how-you-can-help/cojeco-hurricane-sandy-relief/
11/5 @23:30 Update:
Listing of NYC shelters
Some Twitter accounts to follow –
- Mayor Mike Bloomberg @MikeBloomberg
- NJ Gov. Chris Christie @GovChristie
- NYC @NYCgov
11/5 @14:25 Update:
The Red Hook Initiative is looking for volunteer physicians in the Red Hook (Brooklyn) community. For more info call, visit them at 767 Hicks St., or visit their website: http://rhicenter.org/tag/hurricane-relief/
With widespread damage to New York City, Long Island, and New Jersey many chronically ill – and newly ill – people are living in shelters (medical and non-medical) or stuck, isolated, at home with no heat, power or access to medical care. Physicians and other medical professionals are needed. Here are some resources I’ve come across. If you know of any other groups specifically looking for medical professionals, please post them in the comments section below and I will add to the post.
Physicians/Medical Professionals Wanted
- NYC Service – The official New York City hub (On twitter @nycservice)
- NYC Medical Reserve Corps
- New York Red Cross – Physicians and medical professionals wanted
- Nassau County Medical Reserve Corps – Application Form (pdf). Print out the application and fax it with your availability and a copy of your driver’s license.
- Suffolk County MRC – Application Form (online)
General Resources and groups accepting donations: